Sunday, November 11, 2012

a precious old man

Thinking of a precious old man i met... i think it was the look in his eyes of regret and sadness and the pain of years passed, and yet love was there, shining through.. it burst out of him as he endeavored to share his life with me, tickled pink.. thinking of what he could do and say.. he seemed so happy to share his own home cooked meal with me.. like a kid in a candy shop, when he saw that i thought it was tasty. He didnt even eat.. just wanted me to enjoy it all.. and more.. and more.. He just wanted to please me.. give me gifts, show me his family wall of photos.. and tell me about anything that seemed like a remotely interesting topic to me. He could barely hear at all, which made it adorable the way he pronounced his words... He treated me like a princess. He was so happy to have me there that he went rummaging around his spare room to see what he could find to give me.. he walked over to the mantle and found a metal lantern and picked it up and said, "this looks like something you might like to have.".. then he went rummaging more and with a slight hint of glee, he declared that he had found the perfect gift for me.., an old wooden jewelry box that he had found at a yard sale once. Well, that turned out to be a secret treasure because it had a hidden love note in the bottom of the box that a 14 year old girl had written to her future husband.. telling him that she loved him even though she had never met him and she couldnt wait to be with him someday and share their family together.. That totally blew me away!.. It was like something i would have written and probably did..
It was like finding a secret treasure.. I always wanted to find something special inside a jewelry box besides just a ballerina twirling around..
Somehow, he must have been looking for a way into my heart because he found one... i put him in my personal special memory box with some other special older men moments..
When i get to heaven, i would like for him to invite me over and fix me his specialty again. those were the tastiest tacos i have EVER had!
Not exactly sure why it breaks my heart to think about him.. i think it is because he is alone and misunderstood by his family..

No comments: